From the 17th century to present.
Mathildedal, Teijo and Kirjakkala Ironworks together play an important role in history of industrializing Finland. Mathildedal Ironworks is a cultural heritage representing the 19th century metal industry.
The origins of Mathildedal ironworks go back to 1686. Mr Lorenz Creutz from Teijo was granted a right to build a forgery in Hummeldal.
In 1825 Mr Robert Bremer discovered ironstone in the ground starting the glory days for Hummeldal factory and the whole area. His son Viktor Zebor Bremer continued running the ironworks after him. And in 1852 he found a new factory in Hummeldal naming it and the whole village to Mathildedal after his wife Mathilda.
The ironworks was much more than just a work place for its employees. It provided housing, keep and all other necessary services. The employees rarely left the area. In Mathildedal the centuries old history can be discovered in the remaining buildings.
Mathildedal Ironworks today
The whole area was left abandoned for over 25 years until Mrs Tuula Gustafsson and her husband Harri bought it in 2003. Being retired from their business the Gustafssons figured that something still needs to be done. And the answer was found in Mathildedal, the forgotten ruins nearby the sea. They set a goal and dream to rescue the run-down buildings to serve as live and attractive place for cultural tourism.